Sidney McKune 1840–1863

First Cousin Six Times Removed

Sidney McKune was born on Jan. 8, 1840 in Lanesboro, Pennsylvania. Sidney died on May 19, 1863 in New York at age 23. He was buried in Lanesboro.

Branch: USA Unit: 27th Regiment, New York Infantry Rank: Private
United States. National Park Service. The Civil War. Web.

"Discharged for Disability." History of the 27th Regiment N. Y. Vols. Comp. C. B. Fairchild. Binghamton. 269. Web.
McKune, Sidney A., wounded and taken prisoner at battle of Bull Run, July 21, 1861, discharged Feb. 16, 1862.

Joseph McKune 1910–1989

Second Cousin Five Times Removed

Joseph McKune was born on Dec. 15, 1910 in Binghamton, New York. Joseph passed away on May 15, 1989 in Colorado Springs, Colorado at age 78. He was buried in the Fort Logan National Cemetery in Denver, Colorado.

Branch: USA Rank: SFC

Ida Florence McKune 1883–1920

First Cousin Six Times Removed's Wife

Ida Florence was born in 1883 in Pennsylvania. Ida married Bert Crandall. She married Gilbert McKune on Aug. 31, 1909 in New York. She died in 1920 in New York.

"Three Burned When Stove Tipped Over." The Binghamton Press 18 Jan. 1911. Web.
While practically the whole department was battling with the Valley Home fire this morning an alarm from box 516 at the corner of Pearne and Chenango streets caused some concern.
Chief Hogg made a rush trip to the North Side and Combination Company No. 3 responded with a steamer.
The fire, started by tipping over an oil stove, was in the parlor of the home of Gilbert McKune, at 348 Chenango street.
Mrs. McKune's little boy ran into the lighted oil stove, tipping it over.
The flames caught the child's hair and burned the back of his head, but not severely.
Mrs. McKune picked up the flaming stove and carried it out the back door of the house, severely burning her hands and arms. Her grandmother, Mrs. Florence, who was in the room at the time of the accident, was slightly burned by the flames, which caught on her dress. Mrs. McKune's timely interference probably saved the three occupants of the room from being severely burned.

Florence Adele McKune 1856–1931

First Cousin Five Times Removed

Florence Adele McKune was born on Feb. 27, 1856 in California. Florence passed away in 1931 in California.

"Daughter Is Left Bulk of Mary McKune Estate." The Sacramento Union 1 Mar. 1914: 11. California Digital Newspaper Collection. Web.
The will of the late Mrs. Mary McKune, leaving the bulk of a $50,000 estate to her daughter, Miss Florence A. McKune, was filed with the county clerk yesterday for probate.
With the exception of William D. McKune, grandson of Mary McKune, who is left $1000, Florence McKune is the sole beneficiary. To her is bequeathed the family home at 1511 H street, valued at $10,000, and the income of Willow Farm, valued at $40,000, for her life. At her death the property is to go to William D. McKune.

Mary Gibson Bennett McKune 1839–1914

Fifth Great Aunt

Mary Gibson Bennett was born in 1839 in Illinois. Mary married John Hilborn McKune on Feb. 26, 1855 in California. She passed away on Feb. 18, 1914 at home in Sacramento, California.

"Widow of Pioneer Jurist Dies Here." The Sacramento Union 19 Feb. 1914. California Digital Newspaper Collection. Web.
Mrs. Mary G. McKune, a well-known pioneer woman of this city and widow of the late Judge J. H. McKune, one of the most eminent California pioneer jurists, died yesterday afternoon at her home, 1511 H street, after a short illness. She was a native of Illinois and was 75 years old.
Her death recalls the life of one of the earliest settlers of Sacramento county. She was married to Judge McKune in Sacramento in the early days. Before her marriage, she was Mary Bennett, of a prominent pioneer family.
Judge McKune was the first city attorney of Sacramento, was state district judge for 12 years under the old constitution, served in the state legislature, and also held federal positions in the state.
Mrs. McKune leaves one daughter, Florence A. McKune of this city, a sister. Mrs. Bertha Green, and a grandson, William D. McKune. The funeral will be private.

Mary Anne McKune Comfort 1810–1884

Fourth Great Grandmother

Mary Anne McKune was born on Sep. 9, 1810 in New York. Mary married James Comfort on Jun. 3, 1830 in Pennsylvania. She passed away on May 3, 1884 in Lanesboro, Pennsylvania at age 73. She was buried in the Lanesboro Cemetery.

Gilbert, Florence Comfort. "History of the Comfort Ancestors." RootsWeb. Ancestry, 2001. Web. Lee was at West Point from 1825 to 1829.
[Mary] rejected a proposal of marriage from Robert E. Lee, who was then a student at West Point.

Comfort, Lanesboro Cemetery. 2012.
Year Name & Age Occupation Residence F M
1860 Mary A Comfort 50 Harmony, Susquehanna, Pennsylvania
1880 Mary Ann Comfort 69 Keeping House Harmony, Susquehanna, Pennsylvania NY NY

Robert McKune 1786–1861

Fifth Great Grandfather

Robert McKune was born on Aug. 17, 1786 in Blooming Grove, New York. Robert married Elizabeth Whitney Fowler on Dec. 26, 1807 in Yorktown, New York. He married Mary Hilborn on Dec. 6, 1817 in Pennsylvania. He died on Mar. 4, 1861 in Pennsylvania at age 74.

Gerritson, A. J., ed. "Fatal Casualty." The Montrose Democrat 14 Mar. 1861. Web.
Robert McKune, aged 84 years, residing near the Cascade Bridge, on the N. Y. & E. R. R., was accidentally killed on Monday forenoon, March 4th, by falling from the hind car of a gravel train on which he was riding. The train was about switching off on the upper switch, just above the Cascade bridge, and backing up suddenly, he was thrown off, his head striking on the rail. He was pushed along on the rail by the brake some sixty feet, when two cars passed over him. The back part of his head was taken off, and the body cut and bruised.

Stocker, Rhamanthus M. Centennial History of Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania. Philadelphia, 1887. 574. Web.
His death was the result of an accident that occurred to him near the Cascade, less than one-half of a mile from his house. He was sitting on a gravel car that formed part of the construction train which was being loaded with gravel, in conversation with the foreman of the gang, when the train suddenly started, Mr. McKune was thrown under the wheels of the car and crushed.

United States. Census. 1810. Web.
State: New York
County: Sullivan
Town: Mamakating
Head of Family: Robert McKune
Males: 2
16 to 25: Robert McKune, 1786
16 to 25: Unidentified
Females: 1
26 to 44: Elizabeth McKune, 1782

United States. Census. 1830. Web.
State: Pennsylvania
County: Susquehanna
Township: Harmony
Head of Family: Robert McKune
Males: 10
Under 05: Charles McKune, 1828
Under 05: James Harvey McKune, 1826
05 to 10: Hezekiah Robert McKune, 1823
05 to 10: William Penn McKune, 1820
05 to 10: Robert Barclay McKune, 1820
10 to 15: John Hilborn McKune, 1819
10 to 15: Joseph Fowler McKune, 1815
20 to 30: Unidentified
20 to 30: Unidentified
40 to 50: Robert McKune, 1786
Females: 4
15 to 20: Esther McKune, 1812
15 to 20: Mary Anne McKune, 1810
30 to 40: Mary McKune, 1792
70 to 80: Martha Hilborn, 1759

United States. Census. 1840. Web.
State: Pennsylvania
County: Susquehanna
Township: Harmony
Head of Family: Robert McKune
Males: 8
Under 05: George McKune, 1836
10 to 15: Charles McKune, 1828
10 to 15: James Harvey McKune, 1826
15 to 20: Hezekiah Robert McKune, 1823
15 to 20: William Penn McKune, 1820
20 to 30: John Hilborn McKune, 1819
30 to 40: Unidentified
50 to 60: Robert McKune, 1786
Females: 3
05 to 10: Elizabeth McKune, 1831
40 to 50: Mary McKune, 1792
80 to 90: Martha Hilborn, 1759

Map of Susquehanna Co. Pennsylvania. Philadelphia, 1858. Ancestor Tracks. Web.
Year Name & Age Occupation Residence F M
1810 Robert McKune Mamakating, Sullivan, New York
1830 Robert McKune Harmony, Susquehanna, Pennsylvania
1840 Robert McKune Harmony, Susquehanna, Pennsylvania
1850 Robert Mc Kune 64 Harmony, Susquehanna, Pennsylvania
1860 Robert M Mc Kune 73 Harmony, Susquehanna, Pennsylvania

Elizabeth Whitney Fowler McKune 1782–1817

Fifth Great Grandmother

Elizabeth Whitney Fowler was born on Jul. 6, 1782 in Yorktown, New York. She married Robert McKune on Dec. 26, 1807 in Yorktown. She died on May 16, 1817 in Mamakating, New York at age 34. She was buried in the Daniel Wilson Methodist Episcopal Churchyard in Mamakating.

I do not know the location of the churchyard, or if it is known by another name.

"List of Marriages." The Journal of the Reverend Silas Constant, Pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Yorktown, New York. Philadelphia, 1903. 383. Web.
Robert McCuen and Elizabeth Fowler 26 December 1807

Joseph McKune 1762–1850

Sixth Great Grandfather

Joseph McKune was born in 1762 in Goshen, New York. Joseph passed away on May 25, 1850 in Pennsylvania. He was buried in the McKune Cemetery in Pennsylvania. The cemetery is next to the Priesthood Restoration Site.

DAR #A200743 Service: New York Rank: Private
United States. Census. 1820. Web.
State: Pennsylvania
County: Susquehanna
Township: Harmony
Head of Family: Joseph McKune
Males: 4
10 to 16: Silas Fowler McKune, 1808
16 to 18: John McKune, 1803
16 to 26: John McKune, 1803
16 to 26: Hezekiah McKune, 1801
Over 45: Joseph McKune, 1762
Females: 3
10 to 16: Unidentified
10 to 16: Nancy McKune, 1805
Over 45: Anna McKune, 1766

McKune, McKune Cemetery. 2012.

Esther Many McKune

Sixth Great Grandmother

Esther Many was born in 1769 in Blooming Grove, New York. Esther married Joseph McKune in 1783 in Blooming Grove. She died in Mamakating, New York.

Robert McKune

Seventh Great Grandfather

I am not sure if my ancestor is the same Robert who was on the Hibernia.

McCormack, Sheila. RootsWeb. Ancestry, 1 Dec. 2001. Web.
I have hit a brick wall, and am now searching every possibility. My ancestor Robert McKune seems to have disappeared. This is what I have: Robert McKune emigrated from Glasgow, Scotland in 1754 and finally settled in Goshen, NY. He was a cooper by trade, and spent his winters working in the West Indies. During the American Revolutionary war he disappears. Then I found a side note that said he possibly was taken prisoner by the British and died onboard a prison ship in NY Harbor.

McCormack, Sheila. Genealogy. 28 Feb. 2002. Web.
Hello! I am the McKune Family Historian and my brick wall is Robert McKune. We have that he emigrated from Scotland in 1754 and moved to Goshen Orange Cty, NY. Many of the records of that time, have spelled the name McKown. Recently I found records in Scotland that have a Robert McKune who married a Helen McKown in Kirkcudbright, Scotland in 1753. It is a possibility. This Robert was a cooper and made the run to the West Indies after the harvest each year. I have been in touch with a McKune researcher in Scotland who said that many of the records even in Scotland were spelled McKown, in fact it was fairly common. Robert was in the American Revolution and I have not been able to find his records, probably due to the spelling, but we have that he died on a British Prison Ship in NY Harbor. He had 2 sons that we know of, Robert b. c 1761 and Joseph b. 1762. I descend from Joseph. Has anyone come across anything that remotely sounds familier. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much.


"Officers." American War of Independence at Sea. 23 Aug. 2014. Web.
Master, Connecticut Privateers
Robert McKowen [McKown] was [sailing] Master on the Connecticut Privateer Sloop Hibernia (Commander SAMUEL SMEDLEY) on 10 October 1780. The Hibernia was captured by HM Frigate Hussar on 25 October and taken into New York. McKowen was sent to England and committed to Old Mill Prison in March 1781. [NOAR, 203]

Gilbert McKune 1845–1924

Fourth Great Uncle

Gilbert McKune was born on Mar. 5, 1845 in Pennsylvania. Gilbert married Flora Ruth Comfort. He married Ida Florence Crandall on Aug. 31, 1909 in New York. He passed away on May 9, 1924 in Lanesboro, Pennsylvania at age 79. He was buried in the Lanesboro Cemetery.

Branch: USA Unit: 89th Regiment, New York Infantry Rank: Lieutenant
United States. National Park Service. The Civil War. Web.

John Hilborn McKune 1819–1905

Fifth Great Uncle

John Hilborn McKune was born in 1819 in New York. John married Mary Gibson Bennett on Feb. 26, 1855 in California. He was an abolitionist attorney in the trial of Archy Lee in 1858 in Sacramento, California. He passed away on Mar. 22, 1905 in Sacramento.

"Chinese Servant Arrested." Los Angeles Herald 12 May 1901: 7. California Digital Newspaper Collection. Web.
SACRAMENTO. May 11.—Ah Chung, a Chinese servant in the employ of Judge J. H. McKune, was arrested today on a charge of stealing diamond rings, valued at $1600, from Mrs. Julia Dunn of San Francisco, who is a guest at the McKune residence.

Guinn, J. M. History of the State of California. Chicago, 1906. 364. Web.
Remembered as one of the oldest and most eminent members of the bar of Sacramento county, Hon. J. H. McKune, who died March 23, 1905, is named among the representative citizens of this section of the state of California. He was a native of New York state, his birth having occurred in Sullivan county March 23, 1819. Becoming a resident of Pennsylvania, he read law in the office of Bently & Richards at Montrose, Susquehanna county, from 1839 to 1844, at the close of that period being admitted to the bar at that place. He remained a citizen of Montrose for the ensuing four years, engaged in the practice of his profession, when he removed to Illinois and resumed practice in Lee Center, Lee county.
The following year he came overland to California, on the 7th of May leaving Independence, Mo., and on the 1st of September crossing the Sierra Nevada mountains at a point near where the present railroad crosses. Like the great majority of those who sought the state at that time, his first employment was in gold mining at Nevada City, in which occupation he remained for a short time. He hunted deer in the fall of 1849, and in January of the following year came to Sacramento, where he resided until his death, with the exception of two years spent in San Francisco. At the election April 5, 1850, he was chosen county attorney and held the office for two years. Following this he was appointed law agent for the United States land commission, which office he held for a like period, being the only agent appointed in California. At the general election of 1856 he was elected on the Democratic ticket to the legislature, and during the session of 1857 he took a prominent part, acting as chairman of the committee appointed to conduct the impeachment of State Treasurer Bates.
At the regular election of 1858 he was elected district judge of the sixth judicial district, a candidate of the Douglas Democrats, and five years later was elected to the same office on the Republican ticket. He held the office until the 31st of December, 1869. In company with John C. Burch and Creed Haymond, he was appointed by Governor Booth as code commissioner to compile the statutes that were ratified by the legislature in 1871-72. It is said that Judge McKune was connected with more celebrated law suits than any other attorney in Sacramento county; while he also compiled all of the ordinances of the city of Sacramento (except a few touching franchises) into one ordinance numbered 17, and that number is still preserved among the ordinances of the city.
February 26, 1855, Judge McKune was united in marriage with Mary G. Bennett, of San Francisco, and they became the parents of two children: Florence A. and Charles Ralph, the latter of whom died in June, 1889, at the age of thirty one years. Fraternally he was a Mason and an Odd Fellow, and took a great interest in the Grange from its organization. He was always an indefatigable worker, and only retired from practice two years prior to his death. He was a member of the Society of California Pioneers and of the Sacramento Society.

Stocker, Rhamanthus M. Centennial History of Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania. Philadelphia, 1887. 87. Web.
Joseph T. Richards, son of Daniel and Lydia Richards, read law with William Jessup, and was admitted to the bar May 8, 1838. He practiced law at Montrose for about twelve years, in partnership with B. S. Bentley a portion of the time. He was a well-read lawyer, and accurate in office-work. He went to California for his health, by way of the Isthmus of Panama. Here he contracted a fever. He partly regained his health, and formed a partnership with Judge John H. McKune, a former student of Bentley's. The partnership had been in existence only two weeks when they were burned out in the great fire that occurred at Sacramento, escaping only with his life, in his night-clothes. The exposure and excitement incident to this calamity soon terminated his life. He died in 1852.

Stocker, Rhamanthus M. Centennial History of Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania. Philadelphia, 1887. 574. Web.
John Hilborn McKune, the eldest son of Robert and Mary McKune, has so great distinction in California that his many friends and acquaintances in Susquehanna County hold him in highest admiration. He was born in Sullivan County, N. Y., in 1819. His mother was his principal instructor; yet a few months each year he attended school at the log schoolhouse that stood near where the Starrucca viaduct is now. In 1819 he entered the law-office of Bentley & Richards, at Montrose, as a student, and was admitted to the Susquehanna bar in 1844. In 1849 he went to California, settled in Sacramento City, and in 1850 was elected county attorney. In 1854, he was appointed United States law agent by President Pierce, to ascertain and settle private land claims. He was a member of the Democratic Electoral College of California in 1856; in 1857 a member of the Legislature, chairman of the committee appointed to impeach State Treasurer Bates; in 1858 district judge for the Sixth Judicial District, and held the office eleven years. In 1872, he was appointed code commissioner to revise and codify the State laws. He is also a member of the "Society of Pioneers'' of California.

United States. National Park Service. Civil Rights, Racial Protest, and Anti-Slavery Activism in San Francisco. By Albert S. Broussard. Web.
The most dramatic fugitive slave case in California involved an eighteen year old slave from Mississippi named Archy Lee. Lee had come to California in 1857 with his owner, Charles Stovall, who settled in Sacramento and hired out Lee in order to earn a wage. Stovall taught school for several months, but as time passed he grew increasingly concerned about Lee's loyalty and the effect that residing in California, a free state, might be having on his bondsman. When Stovall attempted to locate Archy and send him back to Mississippi, he found, to his dismay, that his slave had disappeared. Lee had initially hid in the Hotel Hackett, a business owned by free blacks in Sacramento, which had, next to San Francisco, one of the most politically active black communities in the state. Stovall, however, eventually had Lee arrested and brought to trial.
Despite the previous support of the California Fugitive Slave Law, which had expired in April 1855, a number of white antislavery supporters came forward to defend Lee and attempted to prevent his return to Mississippi. Attorneys Edwin Bryant Crocker, a former abolitionist from Indiana and the brother of Charles Crocker, who founded the Southern Pacific Railroad, and John H. McKune represented Lee in a Sacramento County court. Additionally, the noted antislavery attorney Joseph W. Winans, and numerous African Americans supported Lee. When Lee's case came before Judge Robert Robinson's court, the judge ruled that the black slave was a free man. But Lee's freedom was short-lived, for Stovall's attorneys had Lee arrested immediately and brought before a new judge in the hope of receiving a more sympathetic verdict. The state supreme court agreed that Archy Lee should return to slavery, much to the horror of his supporters.
Neither black San Franciscans nor white abolitionists, however, had any intention of allowing Lee to return to Mississippi. Blacks and whites mobilized their resources. Blacks from every social and economic class contributed funds in earnest to support Lee's defense. The well-known Republican attorney, Edward O. Baker, the product of Quaker parents and one of the great orators of the day, headed Lee's defense. When Stovall attempted to sail back to Mississippi with his bondsman, Lee, in a daring rescue, was taken from aboard a ship in the middle of San Francisco Bay, where he was arrested and protected. Stovall, his owner, was served with a writ for holding a slave illegally in California. Archy Lee's capture set the stage for a legal showdown in San Francisco.
In a brilliant defense, Colonel Edward D. Baker argued that the state supreme court had made a mockery of the constitution and pleaded, before a United States Commissioner, that Archy Lee be set free. Baker argued that Archy was not a fugitive across state lines, clearly in violation of the 1850 Fugitive Slave Act, but rather someone who had sought his freedom within the geographical confines of California. The federal commissioner agreed and declared Archy Lee a free man.

Ruth Ida McKune 1873–1945

First Cousin Four Times Removed

Ruth Ida McKune was born on Feb. 24, 1873. Ruth passed away on Jun. 8, 1945 at age 72. She was buried in the Lanesboro Cemetery in Lanesboro, Pennsylvania.

DAR #132716

Frances McKune 1875–1965

First Cousin Four Times Removed

Frances McKune was born on Jan. 14, 1875. Frances married her second cousin Royal Fowler McKune. She passed away on Sep. 11, 1965 at age 90. She was buried in the Lanesboro Cemetery in Lanesboro, Pennsylvania.

DAR #182491

Fleta McKune Pickering 1887–1970

First Cousin Four Times Removed

Fleta McKune was born on Nov. 26, 1887. Fleta married Byron James Pickering. She passed away on Mar. 22, 1970 at age 82. She was buried in Gibson, Pennsylvania.

DAR #182492

Lewis McKune 1821–1861

First Cousin Six Times Removed

Lewis McKune was born on Jul. 22, 1821 in Pennsylvania. Lewis married Laura Etta Corse. He died on Jul. 21, 1861 in Virginia at age 39. He was shot through the heart at the First Battle of Bull Run.

Branch: USA Unit: 1st Regiment, Minnesota Infantry Rank: Captain
United States. National Park Service. The Civil War. Web.

Edward McKune 1832–1862

First Cousin Six Times Removed

Edward McKune was born on Aug. 15, 1832 in Pennsylvania. Edward died on Oct. 8, 1862 in Perryville, Kentucky at age 30.

Branch: USA Unit: 75th Regiment, Illinois Infantry Rank: Private
United States. National Park Service. The Civil War. Web.

Benjamin McKune 1833–1898

First Cousin Six Times Removed

Benjamin McKune was born on Aug. 30, 1833 in Pennsylvania. Benjamin married Mary Barton on Dec. 26, 1867. He passed away on Nov. 2, 1898 at age 65. He was buried in the McKune Cemetery in Pennsylvania. The cemetery is next to the Priesthood Restoration Site.

Commemorative Biographical Record of Northeastern Pennsylvania. Chicago, 1900. 1085-086. Web.
BENJAMIN F. McKUNE (deceased) was for many years one of the most popular and influential citizens of Oakland, and for one term most capably and satisfactorily filled the office of sheriff of Susquehanna county. His devotion to the general welfare made him a valued factor in public life, and by his death the community was deprived of one of her best citizens. Mr. McKune was born in Oakland township in 1833, a son of Joseph and Sarah McKune, representatives of old and prominent families. The father, who was a pioneer of the township, owned at his death the farm of Joseph Smith, the famous Mormon prophet, who wrote the book of Mormonism there; this farm is still in the possession of McKune family. In the district schools of his native township our subject acquired his literary education, and upon the home farm obtained thorough knowledge of agricultural pursuits. In 1857 he went to California and spent about twelve years in that State, Oregon, Nevada, Idaho and Washington Territory, where he was successfully engaged in business. After his return East he was married, December 26, 1867, to Miss Mary E. Barton, who was born in the town of Windsor, Broome Co., N. Y., in 1845, a daughter of Ephraim and Lorena (Hupman) Barton, prominent citizens of that county. She was well educated in the schools of Oakland township, Susquehanna county, where her parents resided upon a farm. Mr. and Mrs. McKune became the parents of two daughters: (1) Alice G., born in Oakland township, in June, 1869, was a student in the Montrose and Susquehanna schools, is a bright and accomplished woman, and for ten years successfully engaged in clerking in one the leading dry-goods stores of Binghamton. On June 10, 1896, she married William Smith, of Binghamton, a traveling salesman, who now resides in Oakland, and they have one daughter, Eleanor McKune, born September 16, 1899. (2) Nellie N., born in Oakland township, in October, 1872, acquired a good education in the schools of Montrose and Oakland, and was married, in February, 1894, to Robert B. Thompson, Jr., of Oakland, where he is engaged with his father in the mercantile trade; they have one son, Arthur Newell, born December 9, 1899. The daughters are both members of Episcopal Church, and are quite prominent in social circles. After his marriage, Mr. McKune located on the old homestead in Oakland township, engaging in agricultural pursuits until elected sheriff of Susquehanna county, in 1879, when he removed to Montrose, the county seat, to assume the duties of the office. He was one of the most popular officials who ever served the county in that capacity. On the expiration of his term of two years he took up his residence in Oakland borough, where he made his home for a number of years. In 1887 he was appointed toll clerk of the river bridge, and filled that position most creditably for eight years, until, in 1895, it was made a county (or free) bridge, when he removed to the house now occupied by the family, and where he died November 2, 1898, from the effects of a wound received four years previously. While discharging the sick duties for a fellow Mason, he was met on his way home by a tramp, who demanded his money and watch. In the scuffle which followed Mr. McKune was shot, and he never recovered from the injury, dying of heart failure four years later. At that time he was past eminent commander of Great Bend Commandery No. 27, K. T. He was a charter member of St. Andrews Commandery No. 76, K. T. was past high priest of Great Bend Chapter No. 210, R. A. M., and was a member of Susquehanna Chapter No. 20, R. A. M. His political support was always given to the men and measures of the Republican party, and it was on that ticket he was elected sheriff by a large majority. In 1869 he and his estimable wife united with the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he was a devout and faithful member throughout the remainder of his life. He was widely known, and was held in high regard on account of his sterling worth and many excellencies of character.

Albert McKune 1837–1883

First Cousin Six Times Removed

Albert McKune was born on Aug. 18, 1837 in Pennsylvania. Albert died on Sep. 24, 1883 in Council Bluffs, Iowa. His death at age 46 was due to being shot. He was buried in the Fairview Cemetery in Council Bluffs.

Branch: USA Unit: 13th Regiment, Illinois Infantry Rank: Private
United States. National Park Service. The Civil War. Web.

"Murder in Council Bluffs." McCook Weekly Tribune 4 Oct. 1883. Web.
COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa, September 24.—Shortly after 6 o'clock this evening, Dr. A. B. McKune, a prominent physician and druggist of this city, was shot and instantly killed by one Dr. E. D. Cross. The murdered man was on his way to supper, when he met Cross, between whom there was an old standing feud. Some words passed between them, when, it is said, they came to blows, resulting in Cross drawing a revolver and shooting McKune through the body. The murderer gave himself up and is in jail. He claims he did the shooting in self-defense. The deceased has been a practicing physician here the past fourteen years. Cross came here four years ago from Baltimore, but was generally shunned by the balance of the profession. A year or two ago he was the principal witness against McKune in an alleged abortion case, of which the latter was charged, Cross seeming desirous to secure an indictment against him, but failed. Since then both have been hostile, but never came together until this evening, with the fatal result noted. McKune leaves a wife and aged parents, the latter in Pennsylvania. He was 45 years of age and a well known physician and surgeon, a member of the state and western Iowa medical society. Cross is an eclectic doctor of erratic ideas and is regarded by some as a sort of a crank. The coroner's jury adjourned until to-morrow without taking testimony.

John Espy McKune 1839–1862

First Cousin Six Times Removed

John Espy McKune was born on Mar. 2, 1839 in Lanesboro, Pennsylvania. John died on Aug. 9, 1862 at Camp Oglethorpe in Macon, Georgia at age 23.

Branch: USA Unit: 14th Regiment, Iowa Infantry Rank: Private
United States. National Park Service. The Civil War. Web.

Melvin McKune 1839–1862

First Cousin Six Times Removed

Melvin McKune was born in 1839 in Pennsylvania. He died on Jan. 25, 1862 in Baltimore, Maryland. His death was due to typhoid fever. He was buried in the Loudon Park National Cemetery in Baltimore.

Branch: USA Unit: 4th Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry Rank: Private
United States. National Park Service. The Civil War. Web.

Graydon McKune 1843–1923

First Cousin Six Times Removed

Graydon McKune was born on Feb. 23, 1843 in Lanesboro, Pennsylvania. Graydon passed away on Apr. 6, 1923 in California at age 80. He was buried in Santa Rosa, California.

Branch: USA Unit: 9th Regiment, Kansas Cavalry Rank: Private
United States. National Park Service. The Civil War. Web.

Harrison McKune

First Cousin Six Times Removed

Harrison McKune was born in Pennsylvania. Harrison died on Jul. 8, 1864 at the Andersonville Prison in Georgia. His death was due to diarrhea.

Branch: USA Unit: 13th Regiment, Illinois Infantry Rank: Private
United States. National Park Service. The Civil War. Web.

Fowler McKune 1898–1977

Second Cousin Thrice Removed

Fowler McKune was born in 1898 in Pennsylvania. Fowler married Leonora Lewin on Sep. 7, 1921 in Pennsylvania. He passed away in 1977. He was buried in the Riverhurst Cemetery in Endicott, New York.

Branch: USA Rank: PFC

Ida McKune 1880–1900

Second Cousin Four Times Removed

Ida McKune was born on Jul. 15, 1800. Ida graduated from Lanesboro High School. She died in 1900. Her death was due to drowning. She was buried in the Lanesboro Cemetery in Lanesboro, Pennsylvania.

"Two Young People Drowned." Tri-Weekly Journal [Susquehanna] 27 Dec. 1900. Web.
Saturday, night last, at about 9:30 o'clock at State Line about 3 miles north of Lanesboro, Miss Ida McKune aged 18 years, daughter of Mr. Jas. McKune, of State Line, and Mr. Arthur Munson, aged 20, son of Mr. Wm. Munson, of Lanesboro were skating on the Susquehanna river, when the ice broke and both were precipitated into deep water. Munson succeeded in getting out but on account of the thin ice was unable to rescue his companion. He got close enough to throw one end of his over coat to her which she grasped but was unable to retain her hold and was swept beneath the ice. Munson then hurried for help, and in his return skated into another thin piece of ice and went down the second time and beneath the ice. A searching party was at once organised and both bodies were recovered Sunday morning that, of Munson at 9:20 and that of Miss McKune at 11 o'clock. Both the unfortunate young people were well known and greatly esteemed and the heartfelt sympathy of all goes out to the afflicted parents of both. The funeral of Miss McKune occurred Christmas day at 10 o'clock at her late home, Rev Meeker of Lanesboro officiating. The interment was at Lanesboro. The funeral of Mr. Munson occurred yesterday at Lanesboro at the home of his father, and the interment was also at Lanesboro.

Robert Hayworth McKune 1823–1894

Second Cousin Six Times Removed

Robert Hayworth McKune was born on Aug. 19, 1823 in Newburgh, New York. Robert married his second cousin Elmira Smith on Apr. 15, 1845. He was elected Mayor of Scranton, Pennsylvania in 1875. He was a Democrat. He was injured during a labor riot on Aug. 1, 1877. His term ended in 1878. He passed away on Oct. 9, 1894 in Newburgh. His death at age 71 was due to lung disease. He was buried in the Forest Hill Cemetery in Dunmore, Pennsylvania. He did not have a headstone until Aug. 1, 2006. There is a Masonic symbol on his headstone.

Branch: USA Rank: First Lieutenant

"The Board of Trade Will Pass Resolutions on the Death of Secretary McKune." Wilkes-Barre Times 11 Oct. 1894: 5. Web.
The Board of Trade of this city held a special meeting this morning to take action on the death of Robert H McKune, the deceased secretary of the Board. They adjourned without action until this afternoon at 4 o'clock when a committee on resolutions will be appointed. The Board will probably decide to attend the funeral which will be held at Scranton tomorrow.
Referring to Mr McKune's death the Scranton Republican of this morning says: "He was one of the most genial of men. He was a man of singular force of character, with an unbounded enthusiasm in any cause which he espoused. He was persistent, forceful, almost tumultuous in all that he undertook. He was a born fireman and was never so much at home as when with the fighters, fearless, self poised, oblivious of danger a perfect cyclone of enthusiastic endeavor. "The boys" all honored and loved him. He was prominent in Masonry, and there, as elsewhere, he always led and was the inspiration of all around him. A Democrat, he was always ardent, even to fierceness, so impetuous was his zeal. He will be mourned, sincerely mourned by all who knew him." The first announcement of his death was received in this city by Attorney J. Elliot Ross. The funeral was to have occurred this afternoon at Newburg. In his will, which was made in December, 1891, Mr. McKune directed that he be buried in Forest Hill cemetery in this city, and Attorney Ross, the executor of the estate, notified Mrs Bancroft to this effect. His estate consists of little else than his life insurance. Mrs. Bancroft, his sister, is his sole legatee. J Elliot Ross is executor under the will.

"An Ex-Mayor Laid to Rest." The Scranton Tribune 15 Oct. 1894: 7. Chronicling America. Web.
The remains of the late Robert H. McKune were buried yesterday and funeral services held in ceremony and manner befitting the memory of him as ex-mayor of Scranton.
During the morning and until 2 o'clock the body lay in state in the municipal building. Public services were held in the First Presbyterian church, where the remains were taken at 2:15 o'clock, and the burial was made under Masonic auspices in Forest Hill cemetery.
The corridor of the municipal building was divided by large flags into an apartment, where the remains rested in a plain black, cloth-covered casket. All morning and until the hour of the church services many took a last look at their deceased friend. It was remembered by those who knew him best that the facial expression was wonderfully lifelike and peaceful. Behind the casket on a table reposed many floral remembrances. The guard of honor in the hallway and about the casket was composed of the following police officers and members of the crystal Engine company: Patrolmen Gurrell, Meinzer and Thomas, and G. A. Connor, H. P. Wilcox, Charles Gessler and Henry Hines.
Representatives of the Wilkes-Barre board of trade, of which the deceased was secretary, viewed the remains and attended the funeral. They were: President Isaac Long, Charles J. Long, Cyrus Straw, J. W. Driesbach, J. K P. Fenner, M. H. Post, Marcus Smith and Mr. James. Dr. Warner, J. M. Burdick, Dr. Higgins and C. Foot were also among the Wilkes-Barre men.
The pallbearers and honorary pallbearers were past masters of the Union lodge of Masons and members of Crystal Engine company, respectively, as follows: Pallbearers, William Beaumont, David McDonald, John Harvey, E. T. Hall, John T. Fitzparick, Colonel F. L. Hitchcock; honorary bearers, D. J. Newman, A. K, Adams, D. J. Sloe, F. F. Schoen, Charles Heinmein, Henry J. Kiefer. The flower bearers were John M. Kefnmerer, C. Q. Carman, John Madison and William Maylin.
At the church the central part of the auditorium was occupied by Masons, and the fire and police departments, each of whom marched in a body from the municipal building. The edifice was nearly filled.
Rev. James McLeod, the pastor, offered prayer, an excerpt of the Scripture was read by Rev. S. C. Logan, and a male quartette sang "We Are Going Down the Valley." Dr. Logan's funeral address was from Psalms xlviiii, 12, "Nevertheless man being in honor abideth not." His remarks were confined principally to the deceased's fortitude and courageous character during the Scranton riots of 1877, in his regime as mayor, and the lesson his actions offered the living.
Dr. Logan said in part:
"We are honoring today the remains belonging to a generation which will stand conspicuous in history. Robert McKune participated in three different kinds of revolution which are notable epochs in the history of the United States. He was a 'forty-niner,' a soldier in the civil war, and the defender of a city's stability. Of his character it is not necessary for me to speak. I am here only in the capacity of his friend and one whom God permitted to associate with him."
Dr. Logan then called attention to the citizens' testimonial circular archived in the Albright library. It related, he said, to a period which tested the character of officials and citizens, and when Robert McKune was the only representative the people of Scranton could look to for support and protection. Allusion was made to the riots of '77. The circular was signed by Governor Hartrandft and staff, military officers, directors of public institutions, officers of corporations, the Scranton City guard, citizens of Wilkes-Barre, Pittston, Bethlehem, Elmira, and others. Excerpts read by Dr. Logan from a copy of the circular alluded to the patriotic and able administration of Robert McKune during the riots and the confidence and thanks he merited from the people.
"It is worth living," said Dr. Logan, "if our fellow men find such testimony and if it can be announced as we lay away his body to rest until the day of judgment shall indicate the righteousness of God."
Reference was made to the many worthy characteristics of the deceased, his love for children, true manhood and wonderful courage. His bravery was not known to its full extent until with a broken jaw, the roof of his mouth fractured and face covered with blood he dared to face on Lackawanna avenue a mob bereft of reason. Later he walked to meet another crowd of frenzied men on Washington avenue despite the admonitions of many friends. These acts showed the sub-strata of character and courage which were not previously known to be in him. For peace, righteousness and justice he nursed the city in its childhood for the people the speaker represented.
He fulfilled his trust with the strength God had given him. His spirit and endeavor were worthy of emulation. Following the church services burial was made in Forest Hill cemetery under the auspices of Union lodge, Free and Accepted Masons. Senior Warden Charles H. Church officiated.

"Ex-Mayor M'Kune Buried." Wilkes-Barre Times 11 Oct. 1894: 5. Web.
The Funeral of Robert H. McKune, late ex-mayor of Scranton and Secretary of the Wilkes-Barre Board of Trade, took place yesterday afternoon from the First Presbyterian church at Scranton, says the Republican. The edifice was crowded to the doors, public appreciation of his services and of the man himself evincing itself in the numbers who presented themselves at the obsequies and viewed the remains as they lay in state at the municipal building between the hours of 9 30 a. m, 1 30 p. m, Union Lodge, No. 291. Free and Accepted Masons had charge of the funeral arrangements, it being under its direction that the remains were escorted from the municipal building to the church by a cordon of police, delegations from the fire department of Scranton, a delegation of citizens from Wilkes Barre and the lodge members. Rev. S. C. Logan, D. D., was the officiating clergyman. The services were impressive but simple. All ostentation became supplementary to the sincerity, the genuine sorrow and the unfeigned sympathy. Deceased leaves no immediate relatives. There was no place reserved for mourners, yet mourners filled the church.
Rev. Dr. Logan’s eulogism was founded upon Psalms xlix, 12. It was the discourse of a friend upon the death of a brother, filled with veneration and respect akin to reverence. He said Robert H. McKune belonged to a generation which had passed away; a generation which had made itself conspicuous, which had been honored, and which would be honored in generations to come. He belonged to a generation which entered into the whole life of the nation, which revolutionized the whole of its institutions, which precipitated the idea of a railroad connecting the two great oceans, and gave commercial thrift to a section of this great universe, hitherto uninhabited except by savages.
Dr. Logan said:
"He was what was known as a forty-niner; he passed through the revolution, which had to do and must have to do with our nation’s prosperity, and being a lover of righteousness and purity in municipal politics, was chosen as the administrative head of this city. I am here as a friend. I have nothing to do with personal characteristics. There is no public servant who will be misunderstood and misrepresented, but this man was valorous. He served his country and his God with the same assiduousness that characterized his discharge of every trust. He was a man whom every man might honor and does honor. Like others, he had his shortcomings, but his name abides in honor still.
In ‘77, without a moment’s warning, there arose an exigency in this city which tried men’s souls. Robert H. McKune was one of the good men and true who stood ready to sacrifice anything to make this city a home of righteousness, when he stood on Lackawanna avenue facing a violent mob and commanding the special police, he showed courage which belonged to true manhood. He fought through the life on the Pacific; he carried a knapsack during the four years of the rebellion; he took the office of responsibility and with the strength and ability that were given him executed its duties. Now this good man has passed away, let us reverence his name and endeavor to learn a valuable lesson from his noble career."
At the close of the services at the church the cortege moved toward Forest Hill cemetery. Electric cars conveyed those of the hose companies and citizens who wished to attend the services at the grave. Here the services were also under the direction of the Masons and were sweetly impressive. A fine, drizzling rain, intermingled with occasional flakes of snow began descending as the procession reached the cemetery. The wind sighed mournfully through the shivering limbs of the naked trees. The cold was penetrating. Nature, upon the verge of temporary existence, bowing to her own unenviable death, seemed imbued with the solemnity of the occasion.
Crowds gathered about the yawning grave as Chaplain Charles Church, of the Union lodge, proceeded with the ritualistic services of the Masonic order. A little white lamb’s skin apron, the ancient emblem of faith was deposited in the grave. One by one the members of the lodge stepped forward with uncovered heads. They carried small twigs of evergreen which were consigned to the grave of their late brother. The pall bearers were selected from Union lodge and they were E. L. Buck, F. L. Hitchcock, W. C. Beaumont, John Fitzpatrick, John Harvey and David McDonald. The honorary pall bearers were from the ranks of the Crystal Hose Company and were C. R. Hineline, P. F. Schoen, D. J. Newman and D. J. Slowe, F. J. Amsden, of Union Lodge acted as marshal. The floral tributes were four in number, magnificence compensating for lack of quantity. A masonic emblem of pink and yellow roses, white pinks and sunlax from brother Masons, a pillow in which was wrought the words, “Our President,” from Crystal Hose; an anchor from nieces displaying “Uncle,” and a wreath of roses.
A committee from the Crystals and a committee from the Masonic order guarded the remains as they reposed in the Mayor’s office. It is estimated that 3,000 people viewed the body.
The Wilkes-Barre Commercial Travlers’ sent A. D. Powers, A. E. Lomady and John C. Farrell as a delegation and among the members of the Board of Trade of this city the following were noticed: Isaac Long, president, E. W. Davis, Chas. J. Long, Marcus Smith, M. H. Post, J. W. Driesbach, Cyrus A. Straw, Dr. Higgins, Dr. Warner, Dr. Weaver, Thos O’Brien, J. M. Burdick, Byron Shoemaker, J. K. P. Fenner, of Ashley; H. H. James, of Parsons, Mr. and Mrs. Wm L. Foote and Mrs. James Boyd were also present.

"Hon. Robert H. McKune, Fourth Mayor of Scranton." The Wyoming Valley. Ed. J. A. Clark. Scranton, 1875. 199-200. Web.
The present Mayor of our city is of Scotch and Irish descent, his great-grandfather having emigrated from Scotland and settled in Orange County, in the State of New York, in 1762, in which county the family has always since resided.
Robert was born in Newburg, on the Hudson, August 19th, 1823. His father dying when he was three years of age, he was taken in charge by his grandfather, who placed him in the private school of John James Brown, one of Newburg's oldest teachers, and subsequently entered the High School under the Superintendent, O. M. Smith, both of which teachers are still residents of Newburg.
He left his studies at thirteen, and commenced active life by entering the boot and shoe store of George Mecklan, who was at that time the largest dealer in his line of goods. After remaining here one year he united himself with a relative, Henry Schenck, of No. 12 Church street, New Brunswick, New Jersey, who carried on the same class of business, and with whom he stayed some two years.
Having always had a desire for personal independence, he concluded to learn a trade. His widowed mother had been carrying on a baking business in Newburg, and thither he repaired to join the comforts of home with his business relations, which he adhered to for several years.
In 1839 he went to the city of New York, and found employment with Messrs. Monroe, at 173 West Broadway, who at that time commanded some of the best business in the city. After remaining here for about two years, he returned to his home and took charge of his mother's business until he was of age, when, having a small patrimony left by his grandfather, he entered the grocery business in Newburg.
While here he was married to Miss Elmira Smith, of Mamaking, Sullivan County, New York, and continued his residence in Newburg for two years. His health failing he took up his abode at Cold Spring, N. Y., for another two years, when he emigrated to California in 1849, leaving New York, February 1st, on steamer "Falcon," the first which carried the first mails to California. During this trip he worked as baker both on the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, and was the first American that ever carried on that branch of industry in the city of Panama. Reaching California he repaired to the mines and stayed there for seven months, then went to San Francisco and engaged at his business during his sojourn there.
Upon his return to the States he settled at Susquehanna Depot, on the New York and Erie Railroad, then a town just springing into existence; after which he located at Binghamton, where he was successively connected with several firms in the wholesale grocery trade.
These firms naturally extending their arms into the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, his mind was directed to these promising localities, and an acquaintance ripened into a conversant knowledge of the business and men in the Anthracite region. He had remained in business in Binghamton for some seventeen years; when the war having broken out he went to Scranton in 1862 and connected himself in business with Mr. George Cone and A. W. Renshaw.
In September, 1862, he occupied the position of first lieutenant in the Keystone Guards, a company raised in Scranton, and with them he joined the army at the front, assisting the army of the Potomac at the battle of Antietam, he having charge of the advance guard on the Williamsport road, on the Union right. Upon his return from the emergency, he entered the service again by uniting with the secret bureau at Vicksburg, Miss, under command of Colonel Hutchinson, and remained in the secret service until the close of the war. He stayed one year South after the termination of hostilities, when he again returned North and entered upon a general insurance business in Scranton, at which he has been actively engaged to the present date.
In 1868 he was appointed by Chief Justice Chase, United States Commissioner, and held this position until his election as Mayor, when he resigned. He was nominated for Mayor by the Democratic party in 1875, and elected. The triumph of the election is a credit to his popularity, for both parties had determined, because of the odium which had been cast upon our city by the press abroad, to put forth the best representative men, so that in either case the city would be honored. He has already entered upon his administrative duties with a spirit which commends him to the favorable and hearty support of every citizen in this prosperous and growing city. That he is public spirited as well as judicious all have the utmost confidence, as his residence here for years has amply testified. That he will make radical changes for the promotion of the welfare of the city there can be no doubt, for his whole life has been a busy one; his experience is varied, extensive and liberal, and Scranton will yet be able to point to an administration of justice inaugurated by Mayor McKune, which will be fitting matter for the future historian.
His long residence in Binghamton brought him into intimate relations with the late lamented Daniel S. Dickinson, and in looking over the files of Binghamton journals we frequently find the name of Robert H. McKune as the presiding officer of assemblages, both political and social, bringing him into the nearest and most familiar connections with this great and good man. At the outbreak of national hostilities, he followed in the course of policy marked out by Dickinson, to save the Union at all hazards.
In the engine house of Crystal Hose Company of this city, can be seen hanging on the wall a certificate of membership to the fire department of the village of Newburg, dating March, 1842. Ever since he has been known as one of the most efficient and active firemen of his locality. Young yet, he is active, and having associated with men of large minds his policy as Mayor must be characteristic.

Wenzel, David. The Lackawanna Historical Society Journal [Scranton] Summer 2006: 6-7. Web.
No one ever said that being Mayor of Scranton was an easy job. You do expect to get roughed up by the media and City Council, but certainly not to have your life threatened by your fellow citizens. But that was the situation back in 1877 when labor unrest brought events in Scranton to the edge of anarchy.
A general strike that involved employees of the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad had lasted for just one week when the railroaders agreed to go back to work at the same wages. The local miners had gone out with the railroaders but were in no mood to strike. The situation was so serious that the Pennsylvania Governor John F. Hartranft had requested that federal troops stand by.
On the morning of August 1st, the streets around the silk mills on South Washington Avenue were filled with five or six thousand strikers who moved to the railroad shops just below Lackawanna Avenue. They harassed and threatened the railroad workers to leave their work place and contribute to the strike.
The strikers collected near the corner of South Washington and Lackawanna Avenue and someone read a letter supposedly written by W.W. Scranton stating that they would keep the men working for thirty-five cents a day. The crowd grew more violent. Mayor McKune appeared and was greeted by hoots and jeers. McKune was a Democrat, elected just two years before in 1875 as a friend of labor.
McKune was struck in the back of the head by a club that caused blood to spurt from his mouth. He was hit with stones. Some strikers tried to protect him and were nearly overpowered when Rev. Father Dunn pleaded with the crowd and began to lead the Mayor to safety. Another striker hit the Mayor, breaking his upper jaw and fracturing the roof of his mouth. The mayor made it to Lackawanna Avenue where a posse of citizens, some of them Civil War veterans, were poised to stop the crowd from rioting.
McKune was hit one more time by a hammer blow to his head, knocking him unconscious. The posse of citizens fired on the crowd of strikers, and four were killed and a dozen more seriously wounded. The crowd dispersed. The next day 3000 armed National Guardsmen entered Scranton and proclaimed martial law.
Mayor Robert McKune recovered and served out his term as Mayor. On October 9, 1894, Robert McKune died at age 71 in Newburg, New York. He stipulated in his will that he wanted to be buried at Forest Hills Cemetery in Dunmore.
Fast forward to 2005. I was doing research for a book that I an compiling on the lives of the 29 mayors of Scranton. I visited the Forest Hills Cemetery and saw the various gravestones of other Scranton mayors. Norma Reese, cemetery caretaker and my historical guide, showed me Robert McKune's plot, which does not have a headstone to mark his resting place. Knowing of his history and the sacrifice he made for his city, I was shocked.
On Tuesday, August 1, 2006, 129 years to the day of the bloody riot of 1877 and 112 years since he died, Mayor McKune will finally get his headstone. A ceremony will take place on Tuesday at 10:30 a.m. at the Forest Hills Cemetery to dedicate the headstone and to partially re-enact his funeral ceremony. Invited to participate are Norma Reese, who will give the welcome; Alan Sweeney, President of the Lackawanna Historical Society, who will read a history of Mayor McKune; Girl Scout Melissa Dickinson, who will relate the story of the funeral, which was covered by the Scranton Republican in great detail. Unveiling of the headstone will be handled by Sultzer-Sitler Monument Company, who donated the memorial. Union Lodge #291 of Scranton Masonic Order, the same lodge of which McKune was a member, will hold a memorial ceremony lead by Past Master Maxson. A presentation of flowers will be made by the Union Lodge 291 and the Scranton Fire Department. Mayor Chris Doherty has been invited to make remarks. The public is invited. We hope to see you there.
History of Scranton, Penn. Published by United Brethren Publishing House, Dayton, Ohio, pp. 230-233.
Hollister's History of the Lackawanna Valley, 1885
Scranton Republican, "Ex-Mayor McKune Buried," Oct. 5, 1894, page 1.